Willie's World

Friday, September 08, 2006

Math Saves the Day, Division Title, and Infant

What’s up Mets fans, Willie here. It’s been a while since I’ve updated, but I’m trying to squeeze in as many rounds at the Bergen County Country Club before it gets too cold for the links. 18 holes might go by faster if my caddy, David Wright, were more adept at finding balls in the rough/woods.

Anyway, we weren’t swept by the Braves like I said we would be. Turns out they’re just too bad to let that happen. So my magic number came and went, and the Mets are still without a No-Hitter.

Funny story though. I had forgotten it was no longer my magic number, and, thinking it still was, decided to call for a rookie pitcher of mine to throw a no-hitter. I had also forgotten what the pitcher’s name was, so I just said “rookie pitcher starting tonight in an NL East game.” Then the next thing I hear, a Marlins pitcher has thrown a no-no, not Alay Soler! After expressing my disbelief that my magic number wish did not come true, Julio Franco (he’s like a father to me) reminded me that our magic number no longer was 12. On another note, Alay has apparently changed his last name to “Perez” (to avoid Castro, I assume), and acquired a love for olives (while at our triple-A affiliate in Spain, I imagine) earning him the nickname Oliver.

Finally, let me just mention a very exciting thing that happened last night. I’m talking about Jose’s inside the parker. Some of you might have immediately thought I put the play for this on. That’s actually not what happened. In a never-ending attempt to find the best way to relay signs, I put a play on with Jose up via my new system. Basically, I tell Jerry Manuel what the play is, he tells Anderson Hernandez, who then whistles a tune. Naturally, each tune corresponds to a play.

So when Jose was up, I told Jerry I wanted the two RBI double play on, but somewhere along the way that got translated into a “two double play.” Now I understand why Jose looked so confused. But he did the most logical thing and added two doubles together to get a homerun (but he knew that he would have to run around the bases as if he were running out two doubles, hence the inside the park deal). Anyway, I now understand how a guy like Jose wins the Fields Medal.

That’s all for now; I promise another post soon. I predict good things with this series against the Dodgers, mainly because we’re awesome and they’re from LA. Stay tuned, Mets fans, I can smell the division title.

3 Comments:

  • At 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Willie!! Tsk tsk, I thought you had called the inside-the-park homer. I guess you are even a "genius" with the signals getting crossed. Good job!

     
  • At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Willie,
    please use your awesomeness to make sure we clinch, but not in Pittsburgh, because I feel bad for Xavier Nady, he has gone through enough-from being on the best team to well being on the Pirates. It would be awful to clinch in front of him, especially on his home turf. Let us clinch before!!

     
  • At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you rule. teehehehee

     

Post a Comment

<< Home