Willie's World

Sunday, June 11, 2006

This Place is Spectacular

What’s up Mets fans, Willie here. We’re having a great road trip, and I’m very pleased with the tremendous job I’m doing as manager. I’m even more pleased with the fact that people are starting to appreciate this, though. For example, Omar has finally agreed with me that Valentin is a quality player and deserves to play everyday, so he traded Matsui. I haven’t met the guy we got in return, but I hear it’s Eli Manning from Colorado. I honestly have no idea how these three way trades work, but I’m wondering who is going to play QB for the Giants now (I know we didn’t trade Lastings anyway, the only capable QB on the Mets that I know of). Also, I wish Kaz the best of luck – I’m sure his career will take off now that he doesn’t have to play in the same city as his older brother.

In any case, this trade means I can’t take up a suggestion from one of my loyal blog readers and have Valentin pitch while playing second base. Valentin may be superman in his free time, but it’s just too much to ask from him everyday. But in reality that doesn’t matter any more, because I think I’ve finally established my rotation, in particular the Cuban portion. Turns out I shouldn’t put up posters of Fidel Castro to inspire Alay or El Duque, but rather posters of another famous Cuban – Mark Cuban.

Finally, let me say that I love Phoenixwood. Matter of fact, we’ve never lost a game here under my managing. I’m trying to figure out what it is that does it, so we can try to reproduce those conditions back home at Shea. This is going to be a process of trial and error, so look for a swimming pool under the big scoreboard in right field when we take on the Orioles next weekend.

On a final note, let me bring something up about being a second year manager. I’ve learned a lot of the little things about managing, like the double switch a couple weeks ago, but still haven’t learned everything, especially the lingo. Last night I heard Bob Melvin, manager of the D-Backs, come out and argue a call at third base. He started screaming “he was safe by a my L.” I don’t go out and get in the face of many umps, but I’d sure like to figure out what this L thing is and how I can use it. So I’d appreciate it if anybody could help me out here and explain what on earth that means. Okay, game time in a bit. Look for Pedro to wear some super stylish sleeves again to break his non-winning streak. Let’s go for the sweep!

2 Comments:

  • At 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL. the 'my L' thing was priceless.

    it's ok if you cant pitch Valentin from 2nd base, i think we can survive.

    and check out our site: www.lastingsmilledgefacts.com.

    thanks willie, you are the best manager/blogger ever!

     
  • At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    request: can you please include a link to the Milledge site we mentioned above on your front page? thanks Willie.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home